25 May 2011

Coffee Bean Review - Palermo Ventura - El Salvador Everest Co-op

Pictures of Food - Coffee Bean Review - El Salvadorian Everest Co-op
Coffee Bean Review - El Salvadorian Everest Co-op
The Palermo Coffee Shop in Ventura, California, is well regarded for its blend of gourmet coffee and tea beverages, gelato, pastries and free Wi-Fi internet access. It also offers a hip yet not in your face atmosphere that feels comfortable and welcoming. During a recent visit I passed on a fancy hot or frozen blended coffee drink and instead decided to sample a coffee bean that was new to me.

The Service
While there are signs at the register and counter indicating where to order and where to pick-up, I stood for some time in front of pick-up counter, without ordering, and without any other customers in line, and neither of the two employees said anything to me. I'd have appreciated being asked if I had any questions, directing me to the register when I was ready to order, or simply a "hello." Instead I was just ignored.

After I decided to try the El Salvador Everest Co-op coffee beans, I paid for my purchase and was handed an empty cup. All straight coffee drinks are dispensed from a thermos by the customer. This does keep the coffee from burning in a hot urn and doubtless speeds the line during peak hours, but I found it a bit impersonal.

I should add that once I appeared at the order counter the staff was polite and friendly.

Pictures of Food Coffee Beans
My taste in coffee runs to the non-acid-y, but robust and full of flavor. As you can see the El Salvador Everest Co-op was described as "medium bodied, easy drinking, and nutty." That sounded pretty good to me.

My daily coffee beans, for reference, are Trader Joe's Bolivian Organic Fair Trade blend. I find them full of robust flavor, mild yet rich and without bitter or acidic notes.

Coffee Beans Reviewed
Perhaps it was this one batch of El Salvadorian Everest, the way it was roasted, or perhaps it is just the way these beans taste, but I was disappointed. My cup of coffee tasted like barely flavored water. I'm neither kidding nor exaggerating. Perhaps it comes across in the photo? It was thin and flavorless. Yes, I use several tanker trucks full of cream. But that should yield really creamy full bodied coffee, not creamy brown water. And that is what the El Salvador Everest Co-op coffee beans tasted like, this time, to me.

Cheers!

Palermo Coffee & Gelato on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please - no links or spam. You will get banned. We moderate all comments so be patient and allow us time to read your comment... please don't post twice!